This feature builds on R46’s MVR Import feature by taking full advantage of MVR’s workflow, while adhering to MVR’s unwritten rule: incoming data always takes precedence over existing data (ex: ‘latest takes precedence’ on lighting consoles). MVR establishes the following paradigm; this is simply an example meant to illustrate how the MVR file is advanced by different departments (and can be adapted or changed as needed for multiple scenarios):
- The production team uses their application to create the initial file for the show, Original.XYZ.
- This file is exported to Original.MVR and sent to the LD. Until they receive a response, the production team should do their best to avoid working in the file altogether; if work is required, they must avoid editing things for which the LD is responsible (e.g., truss and fixtures).
- The LD imports Original.MVR into WYSIWYG, saves this as Original.WYG and starts editing it.
- When editing is done, the LD saves the file as Revision_1.WYG, exports it to Revision_1.MVR and sends this file to the production team. It is now the LD’s turn to avoid making changes to the file.
- The production team merges Revision_1.MVR into Original.XYZ using their application. This is now the most complete and up-to-date “master file” for the show.
- Further edits are made, Revision_2.MVR is issued and sent to the LD.
From here, the LD merges Revision_2.MVR into Revision_1.WYG, continues to make edits if necessary, and the “master” file continues to be updated as necessary. At any time, the “master” MVR can be picked up by others involved with the production for viewing (or editing, but the practice described above is observed). For example, the console programmer could import Revision_1.MVR to start preliminary programming, then merge Revision_2.MVR to get the latest updates, and so on… If patch changes (for example) are required, they can be made by the programmer, who will issue a revision; alternatively, changes can be requested from the LD and merged into the console show file. … Thus, the “master” MVR is advanced until complete.