For Release 39, we have dedicated a lot of investigation time and effort to making improvements to importing DWG/DXF files. Some of the enhancements are more significant than others, but overall, the sum of all AutoCAD improvements should resolve many issues experienced when importing DWG/DXF files.
- Memory Consumption: We have investigated numerous DWG files, and have identified a few areas of the file import process that could be optimized. As a result, memory requirements during the importing of DWG files is much lower than before, and this should result in better-performing files.
- Text and MText within a block are now imported as separate Text Labels in wysiwyg: Previously, Text and MText within a block were ignored.
- Attribute text is replaced correctly: Previously, Attributes needed to be stripped out of the DWG file before importing it, because only their variables, not their values, were being imported. This is no longer necessary, since Attributes’ values are new converted to wysiwyg Text Labels; in other words, the same text as appears when the DWG file is opened in AutoCAD, now appears once the import is complete.
- Special logic relating to Layer 0 in nested blocks imported as Library Items is now respected in wysiwyg: This relates to ignoring some objects within a block whose visibility in AutoCAD is controlled by Frozen or Off layers. For some blocks, this greatly improves accuracy of what geometry is visible in AutoCAD vs. what is included in the Library Item in wysiwyg.
- A new column has been added to the Layer step in the wizard, showing the state of the layer in the DXF/DWG file: Frozen layers are deselected for import by default. Off layers are selected but when imported will be set to Not Visible in wysiwyg.
Note: wysiwyg Library Items and Layers work in a different way from AutoCAD blocks and layers. In some cases, objects are not immediately visible in wysiwyg after import and it may be necessary to turn some layers on. This is because imported layers that are Off in the DXF/DWG file are not Visible in wysiwyg after import.
A new “Advanced Import Options” dialog appears during Importing and Merging for Block Conversions: This dialog allows you to define the manner in which DXF/DWG blocks are converted into Library Items (based on later choosing “Add to Library” in the “Block” step of the wizard).